Golf .... McNally Style
Every year I somehow end up getting invited to the McNally Family Golf Tournament. It's a family event that has been going on for over thirty years in Summerside PEI. Long story which a book needs to be written to explain the whole thing. They started letting the odd friend of the family in, we are known as the outlaws. As irritating as I can be they find it in their hearts to invite me back, it's probably hard to put that invitation in the mail but they do anyway. I can't recall exactly but it's been 11 or 12 years now since I started attending and I have on
ly missed a few including this year (Aug 4th, 5th, and 6th). The reason not being I don't want to be there it just wasn't in the cards this weekend. It is usually a three day thing (for me anyway, it makes for a long drive home Monday). Friday is sign up, eating chili and George's seafood chowder. Last year was unique with the portable hot tub one of hosts (Geoff Clow) wanted to try. Trent was in
the tub a long time when I arrived last year and was getting angry at everyone, especially Geoff (Jeff) for not turning the heat up. I guess beer and hours in hot water don't mix. Take note in last years pics that Trent is the only one with a beer in hand for our 10AM tee off at Red Sands. Late Friday night is when the teams are randomly picked for the next day. Saturday is Golf at the course decided by the 2 hosts. Supper is after golf (BBQ'd by the hosts) and then a few more beers, guitars, bonfire, crib, and some mild arguing about different facts of the world. Brent tends to make it an early night after golf, sun and beer must hit him hard, or maybe just the after meal nap is needed. Sometimes we see him again for only a few minutes, then it's back to bed. Sunday starts off with breakfast and the golf
scores are posted and low-net calculated by Foche McNally (Trent's Uncle). During the morning hangovers the horseshoe tournament begins with a 2 dollar entry fee, proceeds to the winners. As the afternoon approaches you start to see the ladies with their children in hand (or running on their own for the most part) head down towards Dave's Inn (that's the cottage where it all takes place) and family day begins. Lot's of food and drink and the awards ceromony where everyone always wins someth
ing. It's a really nice large family (and friends) gathering and everybody gets along. Aways a good time and I hate to miss it this weekend but there is always next year. I think the McNally's need a break from me every few years anyway.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home